Karabena Publishing Writing Retreats
Our next writing retreat will be at the beautiful Barwon Heads Resort in Victoria. Due to lockdowns our Writing Retreats have been postponed to 2022. Please email email@example.com to express your interest.
Who are the Writing Retreats for?
Karabena Publishing is holding a series of Writing Retreats intended to assist those writing in the fields of Indigenous science, health and wellbeing. Professor Kerry Arabena has instigated the retreats to provide authors with the time and space to write about, and work together, on issues that impact on Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people’s health and wellbeing.
Why the need for a Writing Retreat?
Retreats allow participants to dedicate a block of time to writing, away from one’s customary work, in an inspiring and supportive environment. Through a program of activities, workshops and tasks, as well as blocks of solitary writing time, the Karabena Publishing Writing Retreats aim to provide writing and editorial support, communications expertise and peer discussion to enable participants to progress or finish a specified piece of work.
What do I need to do to participate in the Karabena Publishing Writing Retreats?
A draft of each participant’s specified piece of writing needs to be submitted to the retreat organisers for one-on-one editorial feedback several weeks earlier as part of the application process. Each participant will also be assigned up to three fellow participants and organisers to provide peer review.
There is an expectation that participants will write an abstract /synopsis of their writing activity for inclusion in a summary document of outputs from the two-day retreat. Participants will also be invited to comment on the content and organisation of the retreat: this continuous quality improvement strategy will inform changes to the content, timing and activities of future events.
What are the planned activities for Karabena Publishing Writing Retreats?
- Tips on getting an article published by a journal
- How to write for political advocacy work: developing and writing opinion pieces and policy briefs
- Communications support – Session on knowledge exchange products and promotional tools and their application to publishing
- Workshops with guest editors who can review your writing prior to the retreat and will then be available to discuss it with you, one-on-one.
- Each participant will have the opportunity to get feedback from up to three peer reviewers
- Members of the Karabena Consulting network will be available to work with participants on their articles, reports and presentations.
What do I need to do prior to the Writing Retreats?
You will need to email us:
- 100 words on what you want to progress/achieve at the retreat
- Your report/article/chapter/presentation so that we can provide editorial comment and assign peer reviewers to give you feedback at the retreat.
What do I need to bring?
- An ability to take and implement constructive advice!
Where, when and how much?
Location: Retreats can be facilitated across country (COVID-19 permitting). There are limits on the number of people attending.
Time: Retreats are two days on site, starting at 8.30am and concluding at 5.00pm. All catering provided.
Cost: $1320 (GST included) for the 2-day retreat – includes accommodation, catering and workshops
Spaces are limited!